Varicose veins are bulging veins which appear twisted and blue in color. It is essential that you seek the help of the doctor at the right time so that they can give you the best treatment option. In this guide, we will let you know whether you need the surgery and what are the different treatment options available for it.
The first treatment option for varicose veins is enlarged and discolored veins which occur because of blood pooling in the legs. The problem might get solved by changing the lifestyle and wearing compression stockings.
But, if the problem is severe then you need to get the treatment. In that case, the doctor will determine your age, symptoms, how you are feeling, your expectations, and extent of varicose veins.
What are the treatment options available to treat the problem?
- Sclerotherapy: In this method, the doctor injects the solution into the veins which lead to a scar. Due to this, the blood flow changes but it does not go to the healthy veins. The procedure will be done at the doctor’s office and you need various treatment session which will be 4 to 6 weeks apart. During the procedure, you will feel slight discomfort. After the surgery, the patient needs to wear compression stockings after the procedure for a few weeks
- Microsclerotherapy: This procedure is same as that of sclerotherapy but with this method, the smaller needle is used to treat small varicose veins.
- Laser therapy: The doctor will close off the vein with high-intensity light by zapping it with bursts. There is no need to make any cuts or not even needles are used in this method. This is actually effective for treating the veins which are smaller.
- Endovenous ablation therapy: In this method, the surgeon will use radio waves or laser to treat varicose veins. During the procedure, the patient will be awake. Firstly, the area around the veins will be numb and then a small cut will be made around the skin to insert the thin tube. The tube which is inserted helping in producing the heat which close the veins. After the procedure, you can go home on the same day. After the procedure, the treated area will be wrapped properly with a compression bandage.
Keep in Mind
It doesn’t matter which procedure the doctor recommends for varicose veins treatment or you choose it is essential to take proper care. The treatment will actually treat the veins which already exist.
It might be possible that in future the problem develops again, for that you should take some steps so that you can limit the problem from occurring again.
- Keep a check on your weight
- Exercise regularly
- Raise your feet when you are sitting
- While sitting do not cross the legs for a long time
- Make sure you wear loose clothes