ECZEMA: CAUSES, SYMPTOMS, DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
Eczema is a common skin condition that mainly affects white people. Eczema can be used to refer to Atopic Dermatitis in most cases an inflammation of the skin that occurs mainly in infants. It is itchy, red, and rough inflammation that commonly appears on the cheeks, arms, and the knees. The types include;
- Stasis Dermatitis
- Nummular Eczema
- Seborrheic eczema
WHAT IS ECZEMA?
Eczema can be used to describe Atopic Dermatitis and “Atopic” mainly refers to a collection of various skin conditions such as Atopic dermatitis, Hay fever, and asthma. On the other hand, Dermatitis literally means inflammation that occurs on the skin.
Eczema is usually used to describe any rash that can appear on the skin. It is common during childhood, while it can also appear in adults due to a number of reasons
FACTS ABOUT ECZEMA
- It is not contagious
- Normal in childhood
- Can be triggered by environmental changes during adulthood
- Can be an allergy in some individuals
- It requires dermatologist intervention to heal the inflammation
THE AGE IN WHICH ECZEMA OCCURS
Eczema occurs in babies, children aged 1 year to puberty, and lastly adults. The age of an individual influences the location of the eczema.
Eczema in Babies
Eczema will appear in newborn babies since they are introduced to a new environment. Normally, friendly soaps are used to reduce inflammation. Local herbs can also be used and as the baby advances, a new skin will be formed to take away the inflammation.
Characteristics of Eczema in Babies;
- It is normal
- Red rashes will appear on the cheeks and the scalp
- Blisters are formed that burst with time
- Itching and scratching occur and will automatically disturb the baby
Eczema in Children & Adolescents
Eczema during this stage may at times be blamed on hormonal changes.
Characteristics of this Eczema
- It can attack the knees, the creases of elbows, wrists, necks and the ankles.
- Lichenification can occur
- Change in color of the rash will occur (become more light or dark)
- Severity and intensity are increased by scratching
Eczema in Adults
Adults also suffer from Eczema even though they might have suffered from the skin condition during infancy. It can attack any part of the body and requires a skin specialist’s intervention.
It can attack anywhere on the body
It can easily spread
Dryness, itching, inflammation and infections can occur
Eczema can fade with time in some patients.
Unfortunately, Eczema can’t be cured, but a dermatologist will provide the best Eczema treatment in India to heal the inflammation and prevent flares. Treatment depends on the age of the patient, and severity.
- Antibiotics are prescribed in case of an infection
- Topical corticosteroid creams and ointments (anti-inflammatory) or systematic corticosteroids can be prescribed by the dermatologist to ease inflammation
- Topical Calcineurin inhibitors have an effect on the immune system and they can be prescribed to reduce inflammation
- Phototherapy in which Ultraviolet (UV) light is used to reduce the growth of the skin cells and treat inflammation
- Other possible treatments include viral and fungal infection medications, moisturizers, and Antihistamines. The Eczema treatment cost in India depends on the type of treatment sought from the dermatologist. At Mohan Skin and hair centre, the cost is friendly. Effective home remedies tips are also provided to eliminate Eczema